Recommendations collectively supported by 3,450,000 members, farmers and workers from health and environment focused organisations, unions, farmers and academics has been submitted to DEFRA in response to their consultation on the sustainable use of pesticides National Action Plan (NAP):
The key recommendations for inclusion in the NAP are:
- Pesticide use and risk reduction targets, focused on eliminating the use of pesticides with the most significant impacts on human health.
- Support and development of genuine and comprehensive Integrated Pest Management (IPM) in the agriculture sector.
- A phase-out and ultimate ban on the use of all amenity pesticides (including urban pesticides).
- The introducing of buffer zones to prevent pesticides from being sprayed close to homes and public buildings such as schools and hospitals.
- Mandatory prior notification and access to spray records for the public.
- An effective human health and exposure monitoring and reporting system.